2. Officiate with a “Big Picture Mentality” and officiate as many players as possible in your primary coverage areas.
3. When the ball swings opposite of you, start to close down.
4. When rotating look over your shoulder and be aware of match-ups and action areas.
5. Do not rotate on immediate jump shots, drives to the basket, swing and entry passes.
6. Lay off plays at the rim opposite of you. The trail and center have to officiate these plays.
7. Pick up secondary defenders as quick as possible.
8. Officiate defender to defender.
9. Identify defenders, for example are they attempting to take a charge, protect the rim; or block the shot.
10. When rotating, take a “peek” at the shot clock and game clock at the far end of the floor.