2. When advancing in the backcourt to frontcourt , stay behind and either left or right of the ball handler. Go no further than the middle of the court. Being in this position will allow you to see offensive sets as you are advancing into the frontcourt.. Screens ETC
3. After a rebound or made basket stay off the court in lead until the ball advances up the court. On rebound, wait until the ball advances , on throw in after successful basket wait until the ball enters the court.
4. Trail in frontcourt : Work from outside in position. Be left or right of the ball. When the ball gets near the sideline, adjust onto the court and work inside out. Make PA to referee the JS. Do not get stacked.. Get to a position to referee the play and stay there, referee the play.
5. Referee outside in allows trail to see primary defender and as many as the other players.
6. Referee primary defender all the way to the basket. Stay engaged with the play..
7. During rotation, pick up the clocks. Referee where the lead cannot. Post . Move into the center position with an open look.
8. Focus :
a. Perimeter rebounding and assisting with weak side, High post sets. Illegal screens, help with post travels, GT and BI,
Important : Transition : Lead to Trail
When a change of possession is imminent, maintain a position 2 to 3 strides left or right and rear of the ball. OK Now please do not overrun the ball. Trail does not need to be in front of the ball at any time. Now I see this in every game. Why do we overrun the ball ??
Be active in primary and be alert to secondary. For those of you who watch game tape do this simple drill. When the ball is in the frontcourt and under some pressure, pause the tape and look to see where the defenders are ?? Off their man looking at the ball or having an awareness of where the ball is. Why ? To help with a play to the basket. Therefore adjust your eyes to the action areas. Lead can certainly help with high picks on the strongside . And center how about plays at opposite elbow. ?? If you want to develop your officiating skills , become a student of the game.. Angelo